REVOCATION of Power of Attorney
For Student Aid Alberta
Instructi on Sheet for Students
If you have assigned a Power of Attorney authorizing someone else to have acces s to your personal
information or t o act on your behalf on matters concerning your Alberta student aid, t he Power of
Attor ney remains in ef f ect for five years from the date you sign it, or until it is terminated in accordance
with clause 4 of the Power of Attorney. If you decide to r evok e (cancel) your Power of Attor ney you
must give written notice to your appoint ed attorney and Innovation and Advanc ed Educat ion. If you
do not advise your attorney that you have revoked the Power of At torney, you may be held
responsible for the acts of y our attorney.
Once you have revoked the Power of Attorney and informed your attorney, the att or ney can no longer
rely on the Power of Att orney. If your at torney c ontinues to act on your behalf, the att orney may be
held personally responsible f or the attorney’s acts.
Key definitions to help you fill out the form correctly
Who is the "donor"? The "donor" is you, the student. You must revoke the Power of Attorney in
writing and you must be m ent ally capable of understanding the nature and effect of the revocation on
the date it is signed. If you are physically unable to sign the revocation, another person may sig n on
your behalf at your direction, and in the presence of both yourself and the witnesses. Your attorney or
the spouse or adult interdependent partner of the attorney cannot sign on your behalf.
Who is the "attorney "? The "attorney" is the person you designated and authorized to act on your
Who is the "witness"? The "wit ness" can be anyone except for the following:
• A person under the ag e of 18 years of age;
• The person designated as your attorney;
• The spouse or adult interdependent partner of the person desig nated as your attorney;
• The person, or the spouse or adult interdependent partner of the person, signing the
Revocation of Power of Attorney on your behalf if you are physically unable to sign the
Revocation of Power of Attorney; or
• You, your spouse or adult interdependent partner, your child or person treated as your child.
Easy steps to complete the Revocation of Power of Attorney form
1. Print and read this form.
2. Complete the donor’s name and address. (Your leg al name and address.)
3. Complete the attorney’s name and address. (This is the per s on you designated and
authorized to act on your behalf .)
4. Sign the Revocation of Power of Attor ney form in the presence of t wo witnesses (s ee above
restrictions on who can be a witness).
5. Have both wit ness es s ign and complete the Revocation of Power of Attorney form in your
presence and each other’s pr es ence.
6. Make phot oc opies of the form and distribute as f ollows:
a) the original copy to your attorney
b) keep one copy for your records
7. Submit the form to Student Aid Alberta:
• Send documents electronically: 1. Visit studentaid.alberta.ca 2. Sign in via SFS Login
3. Submit securely using e-Document Upload.
• Or mail to: St udent Aid Alberta, PO Box 28000 Stn Main Edm AB T5J 4R4
This Revocation of Power of Attorney has been prepared for your convenience and the Government of Alberta
makes no representation whatsoever about the form, usability, or validity of this Revocation of Power of
Attorney. For general questions with respect to submission of this document, contact the Student Aid Alberta
Service Centre toll free at 1-855-606-2096 from anywhere in North America.
If you have any questions about the use or effect of this document, you should seek the advice of a lawyer who
can advise you about the validity and the consequences of using this document.