Renters' Tax Credit Instructions and Application Form - Maryland
2015 MARYLAND RENTERS’ TAX CREDIT
INSTRUCTIONS AND APPLICATION
Filing Deadline - September 1, 2015
State of Maryland
epartment of Assessments and Taxation
The State of Maryland provides a direct check payment of up to $750 a year for renters who paid rent in the State of
Maryland and meet certain eligibility requirements.
• Renters age 60 and over or those 100% disabled as of December 31, 2014, see CHART 1 below.
• Renters under age 60, who have one or more dependents under the age of 18 living in their household and who
do not receive Federal or State housing subsidies or reside in public housing, see CHART 1 & 2.
CHART 1 - AGE 60 OR OLDER OR 100% DISABLED.
If you are age 60 or older or 100% disabled, use this chart to see if you should file an application to have the State
determine your eligibility.
1. Find your approximate 2014 total gross household income in Column A.
2. If your monthly rent is more than the figure in Column B across from your income, you may be eligible and are
encouraged to apply.
(A) (B) (A) (B) (A) (B)
2014 Total 2014 2014 Total 2014 2014 Total 2014
Gross Income Monthly Rent Gross Income Monthly Rent Gross Income Monthly Rent
$1 - 5,000 14 $10,000 $117 $15,000 $303
6,000 28 11,000 147 17,000 394
7,000 42 12,000 178 20,000 544
8,000 56 13,000 219 25,000 794
9,000 86 14,000 261 30,000 1,044
EXAMPLE: Mary Jones, age 67, had a $9,964 income in 2014 and she paid $245 per month rent. She also paid all
her own utilities. With an income close to $10,000 and rent that is more than $117 per month, Mary Jones
should apply for the credit.
If you are a renter under the age of 60 who, during 2014 had at least one dependent under the age of 18 living with you
AND you did not receive Federal or State housing subsidies or reside in public housing, AND the combined income of all
residents of your dwelling is below the following guidelines, you are encouraged to apply.
CHART 2 - UNDER 60 YEARS OF AGE.
Persons in Household 2014 Gross Persons in Household 2014 Gross Persons in Household 2014 Gross
(Includes Applicant) Income Limit (Includes Applicant) Income Limit (Includes Applicant) Income Limit
2 $16,057 5 $28,265 8 $40,484
3 $18,552 6 $31,925 9 $48,065
4 $23,834 7 $36,384
Note: If you qualify based upon the income limits above, the State will determine your eligibility using the formula
comparing rent and gross income.
EXAMPLE: George and Robin Smith, ages 34 and 33, have two dependents under the age of 18. The total
household income for 2014 was $16,200. In 2014 they paid $500 per month rent and they paid all their
own utilities. Since their income is below $23,834 (see Chart 2 on this page), the Smiths should apply
for the credit.
• The rent in Chart 1 assumes that you pay all your own utilities separate from the monthly rent. If the rent includes gas,
electric or heat, you may need to have as much as an 18% higher monthly rent to qualify for a credit.
• Trailer park residents are advised to submit an application and allow this office to determine eligibility.
• Chart 1 is a guide only, and the exact amount of your income and rent will be used to determine your eligibility. If you
submit an application, the State will determine your eligibility.
RTC-60.2015:RTC-60 11/25/14 4:50 AM Page 3
Renters' Tax Credit Instructions and Application Form - Maryland PDF
Favor this template? Just fancy it by voting!
2 Page(s) | 997 Views | 7 Downloads
1 Page(s) | 693 Views | 3 Downloads
2 Page(s) | 1558 Views | 16 Downloads
1 Page(s) | 1683 Views | 35 Downloads
4 Page(s) | 2846 Views | 77 Downloads