FUNCTIONAL RESUME EXAMPLE
JOHN I. DOE
HONE # AND E-MAIL
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE SUMMARY
(Do not copy verbatim, use your own specialties and experience skills sets, be original. This is purely a hybrid functional resume to bring out your true technical and
organizational skills for engineering types of positions.)
Inspirational leader with seven years experience in fast-paced operations management, engineering problem solving, and
technical training and consulting. Skilled planner and problem solver with demonstrated achievements in process
improvement and program management. Team-builder, mentor, and communicator with experience dealing with entry to
executive level professionals.
Honest and hard working. Innovative thinker, combines a forward looking vision with current technology to solve
problems of integration and progression within a competitive organization. Thrives in challenging work environments
with the ability to set strategic goals, attains immediate results, and complete a job from start to finish. Creative approach
combined with a competitive personality, ranked 1 of 13 and 6 of 62 among peers at the last two organizations.
(These examples are only guidelines, use your own example, portraying your true technical skills and engineering experiences)
Thorough knowledge of the design and operation of various engineering plant equipment; such as heat exchangers,
hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems (high and low pressure air compressors and reducers), steam turbines, diesel
engines, lube oil systems, pumps (multi-stage centrifugal and positive displacement), valves, water chemistry control,
electrical power generation and distribution (AC & DC generators, busswork and breakers), and plant parameter
monitoring and control devices (electrical instrumentation systems for level, temperature and flow).
• Experienced in preventative and corrective maintenance procedures, the preparation and analyzing of equipment summaries
and performance logs, and the supervision of overhaul, repairs and testing of mechanical, electrical and structural systems.
• Overhaul and upgrade of major propulsion and auxiliary systems in foreign and domestic shipyards.
• Experienced in the creation and implementation of q uality control work packages, inspection of in-process work, and the
verification of systems integrity and their subsequent safe operations.
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT: Demonstrated a superior level of leadership and personnel management with the ability to
organize, coordinate and direct multi-functional teams. Consistently displayed the ability to economize resources while
maximizing operational scope and training benefits. Held a wide variety of positions of responsibility. Directed the
base's $60 million flight simulator program with an annual operating budget of $1.1 million. Responsible for the effective
and efficient use of the B-1 simulator by more than 130 aircrews. Supervised a "Quality Assurance Program" and over 12
military/civilian operators and technicians.
• Awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for outstanding program management. As a Navy planner, developed the
composition and functions of large, 150+ exercise staffs with $1M+ exercise budgets, in various multi-service exercises
throughout Latin America. Coordinated their exercise budgets and effectively integrated Navy teams into the complex multi-
• Negotiated through substantial bureaucratic and personal obstacles in the development of a highly successful and first ever
deployment of Navy reserve divers to Panama. Subsequently established as an annual event, this evolution saves the US
Government hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributory support.
• Developed a local B-1 training program saving $110,000 annually in travel expenses.
• Resolved discrepancies in software and hardware by coordinating efforts between engineers and operations personnel resulting
in positive evaluation during a Congressionally mandated B-1 test.
• Provided "team leadership" between maintenance and o perators ensurin g the highest quality use of the B-1B Defensive
Avionics Suite through the use of system/operational feedback.
• Orchestrated a fleet wide $3000 B-1B Defensive Avionics Suite change saving $480 million in repair costs over a five-year
period and increased system reliability by 20 p ercent.
• Catalyst behind implementing war only database in all four Air Force B-1 simulators, ensuring more realistic training for all B-