• Your documents must be typed double-spaced on 8 1/2" by 11" white paper, allowing
for 1 ½ inch margins in all four directions.
• Printed on only one sided paper.
• If you send any documents to the Court, mail them to:
Clerk of the Circuit Court
4110 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Attention: Civil Case Processing
If you wish to file documents personally or by any type of hand delivery, please
bring them to the Clerk's Office Civil Division counter on the third floor of the Fairfax
County Courthouse during regular business hours.
II. PREPARING & FILING YOUR COMPLAINT
A. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
The Plaintiff (person starting the divorce) must file the following documents:
• An original Complaint and one copy of the Complaint for service.
• A completed VS-4 Form. This form is a statistical form that is required for all
divorce filings before the divorce can be finalized. It must be completed
properly in black ink. (If not attached herein, the VS-4 Form may be
obtained from the Clerk's Office) The VS-4 must be legible. It cannot be
accepted if there are any white-outs or hand made corrections.
• Two copies of the completed “Domestic Case Coversheet” completed with
names & addresses (you must provide your complete address unless the Court
for good cause shown orders otherwise), of both parties, date of separation,
and whether you believe this is a contested or uncontested divorce.
• Filing fees and Sheriff Fees, if applicable. All Filing fees and Sheriff Service
Fees are paid by cash, certified check or money order payable to the Clerk of
the Circuit Court.
B. INITIAL FEES
Please visit the court’s website at:
to determine the filing fees.
FBA-H-53 Pro Se Divorce Broc hure 4 9/17/2009
(Created by Fairfax Bar Association)