Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Office for International Students and Scholars
C U R R IC U L A R PR A C T I C A L TR A IN I N G ( C P T )
Office for International Students & Scholars | 413 Academy Street, Newark, DE 19716-6410
Phone: (302) 831-2115 | Fax: (302) 831-2123 | [email protected]l.edu | www.oiss.udel.edu
International students holding F-1 visa status may be eligible for employment authorization through Curricular
Practical training (CPT) for work experience that is a required or an integral part of an established curriculum.
These experiences may include alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of
required internship or practicum, which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements
with the school.
Students can engage in CPT on a part-time basis (no more than 20 hrs/week) during the Fall and Spring
semesters. Students can apply for full-time CPT (more than 20 hrs/week) during the Winter and Summer
semesters. Graduate students in sustaining status can also engage in full-time CPT. Authorization ends when
they defend the dissertation or thesis.
• Must currently be in valid F-1/J-1 (student) status and in good academic standing. CPT will NOT be
approved for graduate students with GPA less than 3.0 and undergraduate students with GPA less than
• Must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year. Exception exists for
graduate students whose programs require immediate curricular training.
• The student will continue to be enrolled for a full course of study during the CPT in fall and spring
semesters. Employment must be related to the student’s major field of study and must also be a required
part of the academic program. Work which is not required by the degree program may meet the
requirements for curricular practical training if the student receives academic credit for the employment
• Must have an official employment offer on letterhead. Please see more details under Application
Regulations governing CPT:
• CPT is authorized one term/semester at a time.
• Students must be registered in a CPT course for each term; 3 credits in fall and spring semesters; 1 credit
is required in winter and summer sessions.
• CPT must be authorized on the I-20 prior to the start date of the appointment.
• CPT must be approved by 4 pm on the last day of free drop/add in any semester or term (no exception
• Accepting work appointment without the proper authorization is a serious violation of student F-1 status.
Failure to comply with all immigration regulations may cause a student to not be eligible for benefits
normally granted to F-1 students and, in some situations, may cause the student to be subject to
• CPT may be for 20 hours per week (part time) or for more than 20 hours per week (full time).
• Students who accumulate 12 months of full-time CPT will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training
(OPT) at the time of degree completion.
• Part-time CPT does not affect OPT eligibility.
• Once a student has filed an application for OPT, the student may not apply for CPT.
• A CPT application is employer specific and must be made for each experience; that is, if a student
changes companies or places of work during the approved CPT period, the student must submit a new
• Students in the English Language Institute are not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Revised: July 2013
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) PDF
Favor this template? Just fancy it by voting!
2 Page(s) | 1485 Views | 15 Downloads
2 Page(s) | 1657 Views | 7 Downloads
1 Page(s) | 1028 Views | 25 Downloads
2 Page(s) | 5216 Views | 130 Downloads
1 Page(s) | 4621 Views | 350 Downloads